The current research aims to illunimate collocation frequency and patterns of English intensifiers by means of British National Corpus (BNC) and Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA). In addition, positive or negative collocations of intensifiers are retrieved and analyzed to acquire succinct information regarding the use of intensifier collocations and to compare American and British English collocation patterns. The information of intensifier collocations is expected to be utilized as meaningful and practical English learning materials in classrooms as well as actual situations of life. English teachers are suggested to teach vital collocation knowledge and encourage students’ self-directed learning through the use of world-leading corpora such as BNC and COCA.
- Aijmer, K. 1986. “Why is actually so popular in spoken English?” In Tottie, G. and Backlund, I. (ed.), English in Speech and Writing. Stochkholm: Almqujist & Wiksell. 119-29.
- Graeme, K. 2003. Amplifier Collocations in the British National Corpus: Implications for English Language Teaching. TESOL Quarterly 37.3, 467-488. 10.2307/3588400
- Greenbaum, S. 1969. Studies in English Adverbial Usage. London: Longman.
- Halliday, M. 1985. An Introduction to Functional Grammar. London: Arnold.
- Halliday, M. and R. Hasan. 1976. Cohesion in English. London: Longman.
- Leech, G., P. Rayson, and A. Wilson. 2001. Word Frequencies in Written and Spoken English. London: Longman.
- Lenk, Uta. 1998. Discourse coherence: Functions of Discourse Markers in Spoken English. Tübingen: Gunter.
- Martin, J. 1992. English Text: System and Structure. Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 10.1075/z.59
- Oh, S.-Y. 2000. Actually and in fact in American English: A data-based analysis. English Language and Linguistics 4.2, 243-68. 10.1017/S1360674300000241
- Quirk, R., G. Sidney, L., Geoffrey, and M. Swan. 1995. Practical English Usage. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Taglicht, J. 2001. Actually, there’s more to it than meets the eye. English Language and Linguistics 5.1, 1-16. 10.1017/S1360674301000119
- Publisher :The Modern Linguistic Society of Korea
- Publisher(Ko) :한국현대언어학회
- Journal Title :The Journal of Studies in Language
- Journal Title(Ko) :언어연구
- Volume : 36
- No :2
- Pages :183-190